Ingredients for Cooking Hummus
- Peas (preferably Turkish chickpeas, but you can also ordinary) 1 cup.
- Sesame 50 gr
- Olive oil 40 ml
- Sesame oil 40 ml
- Lemon juice 4 tablespoons.
- Zira ½ teaspoon
- Salt (sea) to taste.
- Garlic 2 cloves.
- Greens for decoration. taste
- Main Ingredients Pea
- Serving 4 servings
- World CuisineAsian, Oriental
Inventory:Saucepan, Frying pan, Decoction bowl, Pea bowl, Spoon, Colander, Blender, Coffee grinder
Step 1: Cook the Peas.To make hummus, chickpeas need to be soaked, because this variety of peas is very hard and cooked for a long time. Therefore, thoroughly rinse the chickpeas under running water, it is better to do this in a colander, and soak it in a saucepan for 10-14 hours. To soak, we take 4-5 times more water than peas. After soaking, drain the water and peel the chickpeas from the husk. You can not remove the peas from peas, but then hummus will not be so uniform and delicate in taste. Pour the cleaned chickpeas with fresh water and put on low heat. Cooking peas will take about 2 hours, depending on its variety and water quality. Finished peas should be crushed easily by fingers.
Step 2: prepare the tkhina (sesame paste).For hummus, you can use ready-made tahini, which is easy to buy at the supermarket. It is prepared from unripe sesame seeds with the addition of lemon juice, salt, garlic and other ingredients. But we will prepare the tkhina ourselves. To do this, take a frying pan and pour zira on it, pierce in a dry frying pan over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, until a delicate aroma of this spice appears. Then pour the zira into a coffee grinder and grind it. Next, fry sesame seeds. Fry, stirring with a spoon for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and a pleasant smell. Let the sesame seeds cool and also grind in a coffee grinder. Pour the crushed zira and sesame into a blender. Add the peeled garlic, salt and olive oil. Then grind in a blender until smooth.
Step 3: refuel hummus.We return to our chickpea. Pour the pea broth into a bowl, it will still be useful to us, and grind the peas in small portions in a blender. Scrolling pea mass gradually pour broth to it. Our mashed potatoes should be elastic and uniform. We lay out each next portion in a bowl. After all the peas are chopped, add the previously cooked tahini to it and again scroll in a blender. Add lemon juice to the puree, salt to taste and if the puree is too thick, pea broth. Then turn on the blender for another 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: serve to the table.Hummus served to the table is not too hot, it should be cooled slightly. We put the finished hummus into a bowl, in the center we make a small depression with a spoon and pour a little olive oil in it, decorate the dish with whole pine nuts, and do not forget about the greens. Hummus goes well with vegetables, it is served with tomatoes and bell peppers, and it is also well served with fresh pita bread and meat dishes. Enjoy your meal!
- - Since chickpeas are cooked for a long time, you can speed up this process a little by adding a little soda to it. But in this case, the broth can not be used further in the preparation of hummus, it will have to be replaced simply with boiled hot water.
- - the finished hummus is not stored for a long time. Without a refrigerator, it can be kept for no more than 2-4 hours, and in the refrigerator a maximum of 3 days.
- - the hardest part of the time spent in preparing hummus is to peel the peas from the skin. If you do not have time for this, simply cook the chickpeas and wipe it through a colander or sieve, and then grind it in a blender.